Tuesday, February 8, 2011

You know you're abused when...

Since I grew up in Hicksville, listening to Jeff Foxworthy, I thought I'd list some of my symptoms of abuse Jeff Foxworthy style.  Not that abuse is funny, but whatever gets me through the day.

I know I'm an abuse victim when:


  • I dread going home and knowing other people will be there.
  • I panic anytime something happens to my car that I might get blamed for (and not be able to get to work).
  • I would rather be at work than at home.
  • I find excuses not to be home with my abusers.
  • When my abusers are gone, my stomach is in knots in anticipation about when they will come home.
  • I have no mailbox key but I'm anxious about when the mail comes because I don't want to be questioned about my mail.
  • I carry around every important document I might ever need in case I have to make an escape.
  • I have a small bag of gold jewelry to sell should I need money no one knows about.
  • I share stories with my best friend, who was abused by her boyfriend, and the stories are all too similar.
  • I am scared to leave and make my own choices under threats.

No comments:

Post a Comment